M. Christine Schneider, Director 271-4011
2011-12 Program Information
ENROLLMENT: Enrollment into DUCSOM is on a semester basis. The 2012-13 calendar is as follows:
Fall: 15 weeks Beginning August 27, 2012
Spring: 17 weeks Beginning January 7, 2013
Summer: 8 weeks Beginning June 3, 2013
Tuition is pro-rated for students enrolling after the start of the semester.
TUITION AND FEES:
Summer: $216.00 eight weeks
Pro-Rated Charge: $ 27.00 per half-hour times the number of lessons
Enrollment Fee: $ 30.00 (New Students Only, charged per Family)
Two payment Plan: $ 7.00
Three payment Plan: $ 10.50
Discount forfeiture: $ 24.00
- The standard lesson length is thirty minutes; longer lesson times are available. Tuition for forty-five and sixty minute lessons is calculated at the pro-rated charge.
- Lessons discontinued on or before the second lesson receive a 75% tuition refund. Students who discontinue lessons after the second week of the semester are still responsible for full payment of the semester’s tuition and enrollment fee (if applicable).
- Contact the DUCSOM director, not the studio instructor, regarding refunds.
- There are no adjustments regarding the number of lessons after the lessons begin.
- There is no crediting of tuition from one semester to another.
- Delinquency in payment of tuition and fees results in suspension of instruction.
- Eligible Drake faculty and staff receive a 10% tuition reduction.
TERMS OF PAYMENT:
Tuition and fees must be PAID IN ADVANCE. Payment is accepted in cash (exact amount only), by check (made payable to DUCSOM) or by credit card (MasterCard or VISA).
Tuition and fees can be
- Mailed to:
Des Moines, Iowa 50311-4505
- Paid by phone, 515-271-3805, or in person at the Cashiers office in Old Main, M-F, 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Include your account number with all payments.
Available payment options are:
- One-payment of the full tuition and all applicable fees.
- Two-payment plans (billed in the first two consecutive months of the term)—one-half of the tuition and any applicable fees plus a service fee of $7.00 to be included with the first payment. For the fall this plan is available until September 7; in the spring it is available until January 18.
- Three-payment plan (billed in the first three consecutive months of the term)—one-third of the tuition and any applicable fees plus a service fee of $10.50 to be included with the first payment. For the fall this plan is available until September 7; in the spring it is available until January 18.
- After the first tuition statement’s due date, the discount forfeiture is assessed to any non-payment plan balance. Do not hesitate to contact the DUCSOM office regarding tuition concerns.
ATTENDANCE & MAKE-UP LESSONS:
- Enrollment, not attendance, is the basis for tuition.
- Regular attendance maximizes the course of instruction and progress.
- Your enrollment reserves a specific lesson time. Notify the instructor, not the DUCSOM office, concerning any absences.
- Instructors do not normally make up lessons due to student absences. At the instructor's discretion, an instructor may offer a make-up lesson if time is available within an instructor's normal teaching hours. Regardless of the number of student-cancelled lessons, instructors do not offer more than two make-up lessons per semester. There is not a make-up provision for a student cancelled make-up lesson.
- Instructors do offer a make-up lesson for an instructor-cancelled lesson.
- Even in the event of your local school closing due to inclement weather, if Drake remains open (please listen to your local television or radio newscasts or call the Drake cancellation line at 271-4545), DUCSOM will be giving lessons. Missed lessons due to weather are made up at the discretion of the instructor.
LOCATION OF LESSONS: All lessons are given in studios located in the Harmon Fine Arts Center at 26th and Carpenter. Parking is available on the street or, with a parking sticker, in the parking lot located directly east of the building on 25th Street (Lot 1). Handicap accessible parking is available, without a parking sticker, in Lot 1. Parking stickers can be purchased at the Cashier's Office in Old Main.
RECITALS: Recitals by our students occur periodically throughout the year; please consult your instructor regarding dates and times. Students are encouraged, but not required, to participate in recitals. The Drake Music Department also presents events throughout the year that are free and open to the public. A schedule of events is available by calling Marilyn Dean, Manager of the Fine Arts Facilites, at 271-2018.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call Christine Schneider at 271-4011.